Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Fight

09/15/12

                                                   Champion of the World


I think it's appropriate to firstly lay some contextual facts on the main event of the story. Joe, the "Brown Bomber" Louis, an up an coming Heavyweight boxer, had a successful bought against Primo Carnera, on June 25, 1935, remaining undefeated at 20-0. Dr. Maya Angelou(née Marguerite Ann Johnson) was born on April 4, 1928, making her 7 years old at the time of the contest. Dr. Angelou published I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings in 1969.
I don't believe the boxing match was the content of the story. Ironically, I see it as a vehicle in portraying the fight people of color were having against segregation, particularly in the Jim Crow south. If my interpretation is even remotely accurate, the psychology of this seven year old child had been molded around existing with racism.
The most conclusive evidence of the presence of segregation is Dr. Angelou's parting words, " It wouldn't be fit for a black man and his family to be caught on a lonely country road on a night when Joe Louis had proved that we were the strongest people in the world." I would conclude that no matter the outcome of the fight,  under no circumstance should a person of color been caught on a country road, because racist authorities could use a victory or defeat as an argument to provoke a violent encounter. To say that there was a double standard for black people during that time is a gross understatement. To say that race tensions are a thing of the past in the United States, is laughable. I am fortunate however that Dr. Angelou wrote this chapter in her auto biography I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, as it humanizes people that were unjustly accused of being "lower types of human beings. Only a little higher than apes." I can't imagine myself at age 7 having that frame of mind, can you? I wouldn't wish it upon anyone!

  Eye to eye, minus the scale.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Dave,

    I like your take on the story! The story, when analyzed, does contain more information then you first think. I believe and can see why it connects with segregation.

    Sincerely,
    Victoria DeGrafft

    ReplyDelete
  2. Captain Canuk,

    I made a claim early on that your selected topic would be the most popular one blogged about. To my surprise, more people related to broken engrish than I anticipated! After reading a few, I appreciate your researched and well rounded post. I cannot wrap my mind around dealing with racism and segragation, at the tender age of 7. Maya Angelou did, and by writing about it she allowed readers to explore an important event in her life and American history.

    Regards,
    Dom

    P.S. Install a reflector on your helmet soon.

    P.P.S. Or Bluce may install you as a hood ornament.

    ReplyDelete